The Macs

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

speaking of dads...

I know Father's Day is over, but I had to tell you something about my dad.
He is great.
I mean really great.
And he is a wonderful grandpa too.
Even Levi thinks so.


So, this post is for those of you who know my dad.

You may remember in November of 2008 when I asked for prayer as my dad under went surgery. My dad and uncle are both doing great! And now they are wanting to help others who are facing a similar situation.




Here is an excerpt from a letter my dad recently sent out:

As you may remember, November 10, 2008 I donated one of my kidneys to my younger brother David who was suffering from a degenerative kidney disease. Thankfully the transplant procedure went flawlessly and my brother and I are both doing well. David and his wife have been living in Calgary Canada and he and I have been looking for a way to help others with similar kidney disease and transplant needs. As such we have both decided to walk in a 100 kilometer fundraising benefit for the Kidney Foundation of Canada in the Calgary area. The Kidney March will be conducted over three days from September 10-12 (walking roughly 20 miles per day) and each of us has pledged to raise at least $2200 apiece. That is where you can help me out. I will do the walking (and all the preparation necessary to walk that far – feet don’t fail me now) if you would be willing to donate to the cause. Your contribution is tax deductible and can be made on line at the Kidney March website:
http://fundraising.kidney.ca/site/c.tvI5IeNSJsE/b.5767581/k.BDFA/Home.htm


My dad has been walking like a crazy man to get ready for this. Seriously. I went over to my parents house the other night to pick up Levi and he had just gotten back from walking...and it was ten o'clock at night!


So, if you know my dad or if kidney disease is close to your heart, I know my dad would appreciate your support. To donate, follow the link above. On the upper right corner of the home page their is a "donate" tab. Click "sponsor a participant". Search for Don Beverlin to pull up my dad's fundraising page.

Today I am especially thankful for my dad. I hope you all had a wonderful Father's Day celebrating the dads in your life too.

12 Comments:

Blogger Trisha Larson said...

You are lucky to have a Dad like that. So incredibly lucky.

I never had a good Dad but I made sure that my kids would. I picked a great Daddy for them.


Hugs,
Trisha

June 22, 2010 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

what a blessing to have such a wonderful Dad! I hope he had a blessed Father's Day.

June 23, 2010 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger Christian - Modobject@Home said...

This post is special to my heart as my dad is also a kidney donor {to his first cousin}. It takes a special person...

Many blessing to your dad and his brother as they endeavor to great things for others. Thanks for sharing!

June 23, 2010 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger k and c's mom said...

I could only donate a little, but if everyone leaves a little it will become a lot! Your family is apparently full of brave and courageous people. What a legacy.

June 23, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing dad you have, he raised such a beautiful family! I have so loved your father's day posts and it makes my mama heart happy to see pics of Cora that are new to me. They are adorable, you can just tell in her sweet little face she is so loved and so blessed!
Always praying for you in FL!
Take care,
Krista aka babykatesmom

June 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger meg duerksen said...

he is awesome.

June 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger The Rodriguez Crew said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog for a long time now... i love your writing and photography especially! I am rooting for you Dad and made a donation! My dad made it thru his bout with kidney cancer, so it's close to my heart too. Your family is adorable. :)

June 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Beki - TheRustedChain said...

He is such a neat guy.

I'll be donating.

June 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger The Moffats said...

GO DONALD!!! We will be cheering for you all the way from Colorado!

June 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger The Schilling's from Cimarron said...

Jess,
How are you? My mom actually had a kidney transplant 4 years ago. She has a kidney disease that ran in her family! It was an amazing experience for us. Several family memebers were tested and unfortunately none of us qualified... she was put on the donor list and got a call one morning about 1am. It changed our lives forever! Tell your dad thank you for GIVING! and continuing to give!
God Bless,

AMIE

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Lane said...

Jess, this is awesome! I was excited to see that it will be in Calgary--I'm there now and will be moving here in February when I get married! My fiance is from here...small world! Blessings on your dad's walk!

June 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Lane said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home