The Macs

Friday, July 6, 2012

30 day challenge...did you make it?


So, I didn't forget about the 30 day challenge. Mine ended on July 3rd and with all the craziness of getting ready for our Fourth of July party I didn't get a post written that day. But I made it. How about you?

I have to be honest with you. The days when my kids slept as planned and I got up before them went great. I love having that time by myself with the Lord to prepare my heart for the day ahead. I need that.  But the occasional mornings when a certain little boy decided he needed his mama at 6 or 6:30 in the morning and was up for the day...I struggled. I would try to plan to set aside time later but I really struggled to not be distracted later in the day by my to-do list...or the computer...or the phone...or kids who don't nap...or whatever. But really, how can I have time to check in on my friends through instagram and blogs and not have time to spend with my Lord? So that is what I need to continue to persevere in this summer. Getting up in the mornings for my time with the Lord, but planning and sticking to a "Plan B" if for some reason my kids decide it is a good idea to get up early with me. How do they always know when we are up?

I was reading through a BSF handout about how we approach our time in the Word. I thought it was so challenging and wanted to share it with you. These questions help us move from our quiet times being a routine check-in-the-box to an intimate time with the Lord guided by the Spirit.

How we approach the Word:

Do you see the Scripture as the voice of God speaking to you? (2 Timothy 3:16)

Do you reflect on God's Word and understand how you either display or lack what God teaches? (Hebrews 4:12)
Do you commit the outcome of your reflection to prayer? (Ephesians 6:18)
Do you consider how your own personal response to the Word (or lack thereof) impacts the people around you? (Hebrews 12:14-15)


And just one picture of my boys from this morning. My little readers. They both love books. One loves to read them and one loves to eat them. :) Levi is starting to really love reading his Bible. I love that. I am praying that the boys would not only have a love for reading but also a deep love for the Word of God. But guess what? That starts with me and Joel. Our boys need to see their parents engage deeply with God through His Word. No pressure, right?!

Another BSF handout (can you tell I learn a lot through BSF?) encouraged parents to pray for themselves in this way:

That I will daily remember my own need to be taught by God's Word and filled with His Spirit so that I reflect the joy of the Lord before my children (Psalm 16:11).

So the challenge continues. The 30 day challenge was just a jump start...because I needed a little kick in the pants. But the reality is that I want to spend a lifetime being taught and changed by God's Word. Are you looking for a little encouragement in your own time with the Lord? You can read more about the 30 day challenge here:


(Quotes taken from BSF, The Acts of the Apostles, 2011)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ceri said...

what is BSF?

July 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger onlymehere said...

We may belong to different religious denominations but you inspire me. We believe in the Bible also so these references are especially key to me. Thank you for the challenge and sharing your experience. You're doing so much good in spreading the word of the Lord, but especially in your own home. What a blessing you are to your friends and family and even us in Blogland.
Cindy

July 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger happy_wife said...

I loved BSF this years. It was my third year to do the study and I a already getting itchy for Genesis to start. Thank you for your openness and honesty on carving out a little time with Him. I have a 7 week old (and a 3 year old) and have started using the middle of the night feeding to pause and devote to God. It is ONE time I know my 3 year old will not be tugging at me in one way or another. It isn't always easy, but everyday I begin with Him is without a doubt, easier, my spirit if more giving and loving and I am just a better mom/wife. But I am also guilty of checking Facebook or blogs more often than I check in with God. Why I place this false importance on those things I have no idea. Father God never needs a "break" from being my guardian or parent as I do with my boys and that is yet another example I need to follow.

Your family is beyond precious!!
Jane

July 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I havent been doing good at making time...we went out of town and then found out we were moving and Ally hasnt been sleeping and well, I am sure everyone knows how it all that goes. But I am dry and my heart and soul are hungry for some good quiet time so this week I am trying super extra hard to squeeze it in!
Thanks for encouraging Jes!

July 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger DianeTaylor said...

Hi Jess - yes, I made it to my 30 days - and I am continuing for sure. I feel better on the days I spend more time in the word. I still cry and get emotional at the strangest things - but this challenge has prompted me to really find the time to devote to God. Early am works best for me, as I have my morning cup of coffee. I so appreciate you doing the challenge - I don't know how you do it with two little ones.

July 9, 2012 at 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, i made it to my 30 days too. i agree there def were some days i struggled, mostly on weekends. some days i would "catch up" but then regretted doing it in a rush feeling like i was just doing it to do it rather than meeting with the Lord.

some keypoints from my devo:
loved to the end- 1 timothy 2:3-4
listening carefully- hebrews 2:1
letting God choose in times of uncertainty- matthew 26:39
unguarded strength is a double weakness- proverbs 16:18
pride and prayerlessness go hand in hand- 1 thessalonians 5:16-18
what is more important to you than God?-1 john 2:15

thanks for this challenge/journey beloved sister in Christ!

July 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home