The Macs

Thursday, July 12, 2012

hauling beans & helping mama

Levi is really into hauling things in his loader tractor lately. He kept wanting to haul his fruit snacks but apparently one pack is just not enough hauling material...he wanted like three or four packs. Hauling fruit snacks gets a little expensive so we had to come up with a new plan. Now Levi has his very own tub of beans so that he can haul beans to his little hearts content. He loves it.

Sometimes he hauls beans inside and sometimes he hauls beans outside. Today we were outside.

I am getting ready for my sister's baby shower this weekend and came up with the brilliant idea that I could cut fabric outside while Levi hauled his beans and Griffin took a nap. Multi-tasking, right?

My plan worked great...I got a whole ten minutes worth of work done.

Pretty soon there was a pair of little dirty hands digging through my fabric.

"You like my hat, mommy?"

Then he realized that my cutting mat made a pretty good road for his truck. 

And that my basket of fabric was a good place to dump his loads of beans.

Before I knew it he had overtaken my whole work space. I pretty much got nothing done, but he sure had fun. Talk about productive...not.

I love this age. Two year olds are awesome. But sometimes it seems impossible to get things done. And learning how to teach and discipline in a way that is loving and life giving?! Sheesh. That is hard...and humbling. 

Our pastor is teaching through Proverbs this summer. His sermon on Sunday was "Wisdom and the Family". It was such a challenging sermon. I have been rereading and praying through some of the verses this week. I love this verse:

In a reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord there is strong confidence, 
and his children shall always have a place of refuge.
Proverbs 14:26 (Amplified Bible)

When we are in love with Jesus it permeates our homes.

I won't even go into the verses about wisdom for wives. Let's just say I have a lot to work on! ;)

If you want to listen to the sermon yourself click here for the video (the mp3 isn't up yet). I just may need to listen to it again too.

12 Comments:

Blogger LisaC said...

I tried that the other day with my 1 & 2 year olds, too, except I was hot gluing fabric rosettes... you lasted longer than I did!!

July 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Mum2twopreciousgifts said...

What a fabulous post Jess. Terrific photos! And just wait as in the blink of an eye, Levi will be driving those trucks and you'll wistfully be looking back on 2012 :)

Michelle x

July 13, 2012 at 2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a little cutie. i just love that age too! my favorite age ever.

July 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Oh, I remember the bean bin days! My boys loved them. I went to the dollar store and scored measuring cups, spoons, and some bright stones for them to dig for. I tried to get some things a bit too large to go in the mouth for the smaller boy. My kids played with it forever. And then it ended dumped in my yard and we grew beans for a few summers.

July 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This is a great idea! I am stealing it!

July 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger happy_wife said...

Thanks for the link to the sermon. Discipline and playing is something that I am CONSTANTLY praying for. I mean, who couldn't use more peace in their life, but especially with a couple kids at home, right? And I remember getting stuff done. I think it was back in 2004.

July 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, discipline is HARD! When my oldest was 2 some ladies from my church were reading through Ginger Plowman's book "don't make me count to three" It IS SOOOOOO good! She talks about using scripture to teach and train them what to "put off" example: lying and what to "put on" example: truthful lips and helps you get started with knowing good scriptures to use. It is my ONLY parenting book I recommend! :) If you get a chance to read it, and it CAN be done with littles (I read it with a two year old and 8 month old and I am NOT a reader! :)) I think you will be sooo encouraged! -Debi

July 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous jessica said...

Great idea to do the beans outside! I struggle so much with the mess inside. And, disciple is so hard! I have a 15 month old and I so want to get started on the right foot, but you are right...sheesh it is hard!

July 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Ceri said...

Love and Logic.... we have started that and it is amazing.

July 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Selena said...

Oh, my word, our days are so much alike as I also have a 2 year old. Most of the time I feel like I am raking leaves in the wind... it is exhausting from time-to-time, isn't it? Housework is like two steps forward, three steps back around here... but hey, they're only little once, right?! I've already survived this challenging time with the first one (he's 4), so I'm sure I (and our house) will make it this time, too! ha!

Enjoy the weekend, and thanks for the sweet pictures... I will be getting some beans for our house, too! ;)

And lastly, thank you for the Christian insight... only ONE of the things I love about you!

July 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM  
Anonymous modern bedroom designs said...

Hey,
The Macs
This article has pointed out some wonderful details. Cheers for the author for raising such a topic!

July 15, 2012 at 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Julia Snyder said...

Do you guys live in Ohio or nearby? I live in northeastern ohio (1 hr below Cleveland) and my sister goes to a church in Akron called Maranatha Bible Church and she said one of the girls brought a friend and her name was Ivy McClenahan. Anyway, my sister started following you on instagram (as did I, I think you have the cutest boys ever) and I thought it was just random but she said she knew Ivy and found your instagram. Is that your sister/relative? And do you guys live around here?

July 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home