The Macs

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

sweet corn

It is sweet corn time again in Kansas. My father-in-law has the best garden. Every year we all get together and freeze sweet corn and then he lets us take some home. It is so great to have sweet corn in your freezer in the middle of the winter. Yum.

My in-laws are the hardest working people I know. They had gotten up really early to start and by the time the boys and I arrived they had already picked and husked all the corn. 

Levi and I got to work. He stayed outside and helped my sisters-in-law wash the corn. I went inside and helped my mother-in-law cut the corn off the cob. (I think I got the easy job because it was HOT outside....like I said, they are the hard workers!)

Judging by how wet Levi was when they were done, I'm not exactly sure how helpful he was.

But whatever he was doing, he was definitely having fun.

I forgot to take a picture of the piles of corn. There were wheelbarrows full.

After we cut all the corn off the cob we got it ready for freezing. Go here if you want the recipe. The boys and I went home for nap time before all the corn had cooled. I think in the end we ended up with 109 quart bags of sweet corn. I would say my father-in-law had a successful harvest. :) Ours on the other hand, wasn't the best. Somehow it always seems to work out that way.

A certain little boy now has a new fave...sweet corn!

He will chew on the cob forever. It makes dinner much more relaxing for all of us.

But watch out if you try to take it away from him. He is very protective.

He doesn't even give up when he is tired. He just lays his head right on cob and keeps chewing.

Sweet corn really is that good! :)

18 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Love that final shot of Griffin with his corn cob! Bet it's great for teething, too!

July 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I love this post! So sweet! HA!
We are big corn eaters, too. If you squirt lime on them, it will digest easier! I just learned that from my chiropractor. :)

July 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger Lauri said...

That is precious!

July 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Beth Ann said...

Yum!!! And so cute, Griffin! :)

July 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

yum! that corn looks delicious! i love the second to last pic of griffin...it looks like he's telling the corn a secret! so cute :)

July 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Mum2twopreciousgifts said...

I feel very Blessed that I have been a follower of your blog for a few years now. And that I have seen a few of your yearly Sweet Corn Harvest posts. And each year, it blows me away because living in a City of over one million people, I can't imagine having space to put anything more than a letterbox. Let alone a food garden.

July 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM  
Anonymous jessica said...

I have been following your blog for awhile now - but rarely comment. But, I have to tell you how excited I am to have your corn recipe. My grandmother - who is now very sick - made corn this same way, but I never had a chance to write it down. Thank you so much for sharing (both the recipe and the pictures of your adorable children!)

July 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Ernst said...

Yay! Look at Griffin go! I am so thankful to see your corn. I was so worried about how your crop survived this heat wave. Good news! -Sherri

July 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Joie said...

I don't comment often (if at all), but the pictures of Levi helping and Griffin chomping just about did me in. So delightful!

July 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Paige @ Kids and The Good Stuff said...

That last picture is my favorite! Looks at those cheeks!
Paige

July 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

So sweet!! I am going to have to try giving my son an ear of corn! It looks like Griffin really loved it! :)

July 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Sarah Crosby said...

my husband's grandparents have a farm in pennsylvania and he goes on and on about how good the sweet corn is. he says they used to eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner while they were visiting.

i am taking my first trip up there and judging from these pics.... i am in for a real treat!

July 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

What a treat - corn from the garden!!! Looks delish - just like a couple of cute little guys!

July 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

I haven't been out to it yet, but I heard ours got blown over by the big land hurricane that swept through a couple weeks ago. Guess I'll have to wait until next year to try out your recipe.

July 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter (almost 1 now) thought it was brilliant when we gave her corn on the cob for the first time. She loves it! And yes, it keeps her occupied through most of dinner. Until she drops it. She can't seem to keep it on her high chair tray more than 5 minutes at a time. Here's the post with the pictures from the first time she had it. Sheer delight: http://mymcmlife.com/2012/06/13/teeth-are-good-for-corn-on-the-cob/

Sidenote: I usually read your blog in Google Reader so i don't see the actual blog too often. I think you need to update your photos on the header and sidebar to include GriffinI

July 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh those pics of your little one eating the corn are too adorable!!

July 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger It's just Mommer said...

Griffin is adorable with his corn.

July 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Oh my gosh! That last picture is so adorable!

July 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home